Wednesday, May 21, 2008

walking into Dien Chau

Hi everybody,
Another long walk....our group covered 28 miles. For some reason we were all really strong today despite these insane blisters that I am starting to name. I'm sure alot has to do with the weather...overcast most of the day, which was welcome! Nice breeze most of the day so mosquitos weren't a problem. Really a good day. We saw no families but will hopefully be seeing more families in 2-3 days Thanh Hoa province. We anticipate arriving at the AO hospital on June 1st, a week earlier than planned! We are all getting very excited but have many hard days of walking ahead of us. There should be quite a welcome from the word on the street (!) and we can't wait to see the kids waiting there for us. This is for them and I hope when they see us, they will feel alot of love.
We are lucky to be staying on the beach in Dien Cahu at a brand new place. I think we are the first guests. I spent about an hour on the beach picking up the most amazing shells. The water was very warm and it was nice to put my feet in it. I listened to my shuffle and really enjoyed just looking around on the ground for stuff. 
We will be heading out in the morning again, bright and early a 25 mile walk. Our team is working well together....it is a very complicated journey at times. There are long stretches with NOTHING so planning and sending someone ahead is essential. It is really down to a science now and we work very efficiently. There are days when I am sure I will need a foot transplant, but overall...I feel restless on the one day a week that we don't walk. Your body really gets used to it after a couple weeks so I maybe walking along the highway when I get home.
There is really nothing to report today other than the walking. I would like to take a minute and thank my family and friends for all their love and support and not ever questioning my need to do this. You are all wonderful. I wish I had each of you with me so you could experience this too. I hope my words and pictures do justice to these children and shed light on what is and what could be. 
I can't thank you all enough for caring the way you do.
ngu ngon  (sweet dreams).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to read that you finally got so kind of a rest.. Feet implant what a fun idea...!!! I will probably like to choose duck feet so you can walk and swim realky well all together.
I keep reading your blog and I am just amazed.
Your Fan club (Simon and Isabelle!)

Anonymous said...

Mom! I can express to you how proud I am :) I'm sorry your feet are killing you, but if it makes you feel any better..we are all missing you and cannot wait until you get home! I enjoyed reading all of your posts, and I especially enjoy looking at the pictures- they're are amazing. Your photography is not too bad I must say. I love you and think about you everyday. See you see soon!
XOXO Sara

Arne said...

Hi Karla:

28 miles! Wow! Long way.
Please take care of your wheels (feet).
We all love you and can't wait to hear about the rest of the journey.
Love,
Arne

DJ said...

WOW Karlotta!
I guess the next time we walk we'll have to head to Wetumpka.
28 Miles (oh my feet..I can't feel my feet)You are AMAZING my friend as are your words and pictures. Thanks so much for keeping us posted. I miss you very much and think about you every day.Sending you much love! Stay strong! DJ

Anonymous said...

Hey Karla!!!!
You Go Gurl!!!! Things are going well here. Your photography is amazing. I can't wait for your return and to hear all the wonderful stories. I love you and miss you lots. GG