Friday, May 09, 2008

Day off

Hi everyone,
We have no one to drive the jeep until tomorrow so we have a day off which is great. I am at the Inter. cafe down from the hotel. The same place where I sat last night with my feet off the ground because of a rat that liked me for some reason. For those who think I might be stretching it, it WAS REALLY BIG, seriously. No little mice in Vietnam. It is the Year of the Rat so I guess they are feeling a bit confident, in a Tyra Banks sort of way. One actually threw their cell phone at me.
The walk yesterday from Lang Co to Hue was rough. Going through villages are great because of stops and interacting with the people. It's the long stretches of highway and no shade that get you. Unbelievable heat. It is getting hotter the further North we go. I walked most of the way with Doc and later joined by Bao and Phouc. I'm amazed at Doc, with his arm in a brace, even walking at all. He loves the kids and stops along the way giving them balloons, smiles and waves. We did not visit with any families yesterday. The malaria med. makes you sun sensitive and I got a sunburn like you wouldn't believe on my right shoulder, despite using 70 sunscreen. I have been advised by everyone to just use deet religiously rather than the med. This is the kind of burn that keeps you awake at night. I did get some stuff for it, which is helping a little.
We got some exciting news....the man who is 2nd in command for the Communist Party wants to meet with us in Hanoi, along with the man who was Ho Chi Minh's right hand man. A big honor for us. Hopefully this will happen. The press has been amazing and we are so happy to be bringing attention to these children! This afternoon we meet with Susan, an activist who works for Veterans in the States and those in VN affected by AO. Someone has sent her some money for walk. I have been wanting to meet her. She does really great work. Also will be joined tomorrow by Trung, from Hue, who heard about the walk and wants to walk for a few days. And another guy, Giang, a Prof. from the Univ. in HCM, will be walking with us. Some exciting news: Doc heard from the former VC Soldier who they passed along the first part of the walk. He was affected by AO, and his son as well. He was walking from the North to the South on behalf of his son. He now wants to join us on our walk to Hanoi! Amazing things are happening. Probably won't be able to post for a few days after tonight but maybe we will get lucky. I hope you all are good and thanks for all the good energy you're sending-we feel it!