Wednesday, June 04, 2008

goodnight and goodbye from Cau Go Street

I have been up and down this street tonight thinking of what to post...how to possibly put into words what I want to say. It has been a life changing trip but now it's time to go. I never know how to say goodbye to Vietnam.
Today I went to an ethnology museum. There was a quote by a man named George Condominas, who lived with Mnong Gar people in the Central Highlands for several years. On the wall, I read a quote from him and it just seemed the perfect way to end my blog. My heart skipped a beat when I read this, so I grabbed my pen:

"I remember this house with emotion, as it were here that I experienced the greatest continual effort of my life. And yet I was only really part of this house at night. I am not speaking of sleep, during which the individual vanishes, nor the gatherings where my hosts poured out his confessions to me. I am speaking of the evening when the village, exhausted by a long day of work, lay asleep in mass, giving me the chance to write my letters."

I think we should all remember to study the "language" of people.
Tam Biet.

No comments: